Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Reflection on the Process of Prewriting

Today I was told to list ten jobs I could see myself doing in five years. He also told us to write a list of ten beliefs, but I didn't do it. It took me a while to think of ten jobs, but I did it by the end of the time he gave us. At first I chose the librarian as my first freewrite, as it was the first job I remember ever wanting to do. When he told us to pick another, however, I was drawn towards the tenth job on my list: the author. I see the author as the least stable job on my list and more of a dream that probably wont come true (or at least the way I want it to). I also listed some questions I have about the job and made a cluster with the word "Author" in the middle. He also told us to brainstorm, but I haven't done that yet either.

All of the methods I used got me thinking about the subject in different ways. In the freewrite I thought my first exposure to the jobs. While clustering I thought about specific authors I liked and the perks to being a well-known author. However, the questions got me thinking in more than the usual ways about becoming an author. I starting thinking about my preconceptions and things I really want to know. Even though I was given a limited amount of time to prewrite, I know that I tend to make paragraphs out of simple questions and freewrite naturally without getting too off-topic.

In contrast, the clustering brought out the more trivial things that I can't research very well. I like to have things organized, and a cluster seemed to be lacking just that. Something that goes with one thought bubble had just as much a right to the other and if I connected them I'd have a mess of crossing lines on my paper. If I had a web that worked like the genealogy trees on MyHeritage, this problem would be solved. However, there is also knowing when to stop pre-writing and get down to writing. This becomes hard for me as I could ramble on a subject for quite a while without knowing when to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment