Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Reflection 10

In the third page of The Dead by James Joyce, Gabriel remarks on how the poem he is prepared to recite may reflect poorly on himself in the eyes of his listeners as seen here: “He would only make himself ridiculous by quoting poetry to them which they could not understand. They would think that he was airing his superior education. He would fail with them just as he failed with the girl in the pantry. He had taken up a wrong tone. His whole speech was a mistake from first to last, an utter failure.” (2509) This is an example of prestige. Of how important it is to him how other people view him.

There is much evidence of this in my life as I strive to live up to my parent’s expectations and to look good in the eyes of my friends. I listen more than speak in conversations in order to make sure I make the right impression when I do speak. I help others so that I feel good in knowing they think me kind. When I am sad I try to hide it as I tend to also get angry and say things I later regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment