Monday, October 13, 2008

20 Questions for my Audience

Identity and Needs
Who is my primary audience? Who else will read the document?
My primary audience is children between 8 and 12 years old. My teacher and possibly my classmates may also be reading this document.
What is my relationship to this audience?
My relationship to my primary audience is as a benevolent mentor. They don't know me personally, but may think that I'm an expert on the subject.
How will my document be used?
My document will be used to teach children how to draw and what tools to use when appropriate.
How much is my audience likely to know already about this topic?
My audience is likely to already know what a pencil and eraser is and basic geometry (circle, square, triangle, rectangle)
What else does the audience need to know?
My audience also needs to know how to read for one, and also how to change the pressure they apply to their pencil.
What main questions are most readers likely to have?

Main questions my readers are likely to have are:

  •          How do I make things look right? (i.e. make them proportional)
  •          What type of pencil should I use?
  •          Do I have to have special paper?

Attitude and Personality
What attitudes or misconceptions is the audience likely to have toward the topic? Are they likely to have any objections?

Attitudes and misconceptions my audience is likely to have toward the topic are that drawing is hard and only for the talented.

What attitude does the audience seem to have toward me?
The audience seems to have a...
How receptive to new ideas is this audience?

The audience is very receptive to new ideas as they are very young.

Who will be most affected by this document?

Young children with no prior knowledge of, but some interest in drawing will be most affected.

What do I know about the user's personality?

Low attention spans with a focus on pictures and explanations.

What reaction to this document can I expect?

Either they’ll think it’s too wordy, or they will immediately start drawing over everything…including the walls.

Do I risk alienating anyone?

Maybe those who are reading this that already have more knowledge than most children.

Do I face any constraints?

I cannot use anything wordy or any big words without defining them.

Expectations About the Document
Has the document been requested or am I initiating it?

This document has been initiated by me because of my interest in the subject.

What length will the audience expect and tolerate?

The audience will expect a short document with lots of pictures and a large, readable font size.

For this audience, what kinds of details will be the most important?

The most important details are that drawing is easy

How would they expect the piece to be organized?

They would expect it to start at the beginning of a drawing and end with a finished one.

What tone would this audience expect?

My audience would likely expect a calming tone that’s to-the-point.

What is the document's intended effect on its audience?

The intended effect on the audience is to enlighten or teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment